Eastern Congo is facing an Ebola virus outbreak, reporting 131 deaths so far, with more than 500 suspected cases. The data was shared by the Congolese health ministry on Tuesday as details emerged about the government's delayed response.
Samuel Roger Kamba, the minister of public health, said, “513 suspected cases and 131 deaths have been recorded in the affected areas. These are suspected deaths, and investigations are underway to determine which ones are actually linked to the disease.”
The World Health Organisation (WHO) on Sunday declared the Ebola outbreak a public health emergency of international concern.
Health authorities say the current outbreak, first confirmed on Friday, is caused by the Bundibugyo virus, a rare variant of the Ebola disease that has no approved therapeutics or vaccines. Although more than 20 Ebola outbreaks have taken place in Congo and Uganda, this is only the third time that the Bundibugyo virus has been detected.
Cases have now been confirmed in Bunia, North Kivu's rebel-held capital of Goma, Mongbwalu, Butembo, and Nyakunde.
The WHO's director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said in Geneva on Tuesday that he is “deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic” and the UN health agency will convene its emergency committee Tuesday to advise on recommendations.