Ukrainian drones struck another Russian oil refinery overnight, triggering a major fire that sent thick black smoke billowing into the sky, according to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy on Thursday. The attack appeared to be the latest in a series of long-range strikes targeting Russia’s crucial oil infrastructure.
Zelenskyy said the drones hit the Syzran oil refinery, situated more than 800 kilometres inside Russian territory. Sharing a video of the incident on social media, the Ukrainian leader highlighted the growing reach of Ukraine’s domestically developed drone programme.
The footage could not be independently verified, and there was no immediate confirmation from independent sources regarding the extent of the damage. However, Samara region governor Vyacheslav Fedorishchev confirmed that two people were killed in Ukrainian drone attacks in Syzran, though he did not specifically mention the refinery.
Also read: One of the 2019 Pulwama attack mastermind, Hamza Burhan, killed
Russian news outlet Astra reported that the targeted facility was the Syzran refinery operated by Russian energy giant Rosneft. Over the course of the war, Ukraine has significantly strengthened its mid- and long-range strike capabilities, relying increasingly on advanced drone and missile systems developed within the country. Earlier in the conflict, Kyiv depended heavily on Western military assistance, but Ukrainian defence technology has since evolved to the point where its expertise and weapon systems are attracting interest from other nations.
Zelenskyy also noted that another Russian refinery had been targeted the previous day, underlining the increasing frequency of attacks on Russian oil facilities that play a major role in financing Moscow’s military operations.
“Overall, our long-range plan for May is being carried out largely in full,” Zelenskyy wrote in a social media post late Wednesday. “The key targets are Russian oil refineries, storage facilities, and other infrastructure tied to these oil revenues.”
The sustained strikes are believed to be affecting Moscow’s revenues at a time when Russia is already facing economic pressure from international sanctions. With some Ukrainian attacks reportedly reaching more than 1,500 kilometres into Russian territory, the campaign has also heightened anxiety among sections of the Russian population and increased pressure on President Vladimir Putin.
Ukraine’s expanded strike range has additionally contributed to battlefield gains in some sectors of the front line. According to the Washington-based think tank Institute for the Study of War, Ukrainian forces have achieved some of their most significant advances since 2024.
The institute said Ukraine’s intensified campaign targeting Russian logistics, military equipment and manpower since early 2026 had weakened Moscow’s offensive capabilities and likely aided recent Ukrainian advances on the battlefield.
Meanwhile, Russia’s Defence Ministry claimed that its air defence systems intercepted and destroyed 121 Ukrainian drones between late Wednesday and early Thursday.
In Russia’s Belgorod region, which borders Ukraine, regional governor Alexander Shuvayev said eight people were injured in separate Ukrainian drone strikes.
Russia has also heavily expanded its use of drones during the conflict, repeatedly targeting civilian areas across Ukraine. According to the United Nations, more than 15,000 civilians have been killed since the war began.
Ukraine’s air force said on Thursday that it successfully shot down 109 of the 116 drones launched by Russia overnight. Emergency services reported that one civilian was killed and at least six others were injured in Russian strikes across northern, southern and eastern parts of Ukraine.