News Arena

Home

T20 World Cup

Nation

States

International

Politics

Defence & Security

Opinion

Economy

Sports

Entertainment

Trending:

Home
/

us-iran-nuke-talks-strait-of-hormuz-shut-for-live-fire-drills

International

US-Iran nuke talks: Strait of Hormuz shut for live fire drills

US President Donald Trump, repeatedly, threatened to use force to compel Iran to agree to halt its nuclear programme. To this, Iran has said it would respond with an attack of its own.

News Arena Network - Geneva - UPDATED: February 17, 2026, 06:42 PM - 2 min read

thumbnail image

Second round of US-Iran nuclear talks begin in Geneva as Tehran closes Strait of Hormuz for drills and tensions rise amid Trump’s force warnings.


The second round of talks has begun between the United States and Iran about the latter’s nuclear programme. The talks started in Geneva on Tuesday, with Iran announcing that it is closing the Strait of Hormuz for several hours as it holds live fire military exercises and the US ramps up its military forces in the region.  
 
Iranians appeared to be meeting with Omani mediators separately from the Americans. The country’s local media announced that for the first time, Iran had fired live missiles toward the Strait of Hormuz, and said it would close the Strait for several hours due to “safety and maritime concerns.”
 
The Strait of Hormuz is an essential international waterway since the US began threatening Iran with a military response. On Monday, Iran had announced a maritime military exercise in waterways that are crucial international trade routes through which 20 per cent of the world's oil passes. Iran previously also held a live fire drill in the Strait of Hormuz several weeks ago, but did not announce closures.
 
US President Donald Trump, repeatedly, threatened to use force to compel Iran to agree to halt its nuclear programme. To this, Iran has said it would respond with an attack of its own.
 
Trump has also threatened Iran over its deadly crackdown on recent nationwide protests.
 
 
The first round of ‘indirect talks’ on February 6 were convened in Oman, a sultanate on the eastern edge of the Arabian Peninsula.
 
Trump's envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner were travelling for the new round of talks. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, visiting Budapest, Hungary, said Monday that the US hopes to achieve a deal with Iran, despite the difficulties.
 
“I'm not going to prejudge these talks. The president always prefers peaceful outcomes and negotiated outcomes to things,” he said.
 
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, who is leading the talks for Iran, met with the head of the UN nuclear watchdog agency on Monday in Geneva. Writing on ‘X’, he informed, “I am in Geneva with real ideas to achieve a fair and equitable deal. What is not on the table: submission before threats.”
 
“I think they want to make a deal. I don't think they want the consequences of not making a deal," he said while talking to the media before leaving to arrive for the second round of ‘indirect talks’.
 
Meanwhile, the US is also hosting talks between envoys from Russia and Ukraine in Geneva on Tuesday and Wednesday, days ahead of the fourth anniversary of the all-out Russian invasion of its neighbour.

TOP CATEGORIES

  • Nation

QUICK LINKS

About us Rss FeedSitemapPrivacy PolicyTerms & Condition
logo

2026 News Arena India Pvt Ltd | All rights reserved | The Ideaz Factory