News Arena

Home

T20 World Cup

Nation

States

International

Politics

Defence & Security

Opinion

Economy

Sports

Entertainment

Trending:

Home
/

app-based-taxi-auto-drivers-go-on-nationwide-strike

Nation

App-based taxi, auto drivers on nationwide strike

The Maharashtra Kamgar Sabha had earlier said that the strike was aimed at opposing the “arbitrary” fare policies of ride aggregators, seeking strict enforcement against “illegal” bike taxi operations that were affecting the livelihoods of licensed cab and autorickshaw drivers

News Arena Network - New Delhi - UPDATED: February 7, 2026, 01:00 PM - 2 min read

thumbnail image

Drivers associated with mobile app-based taxi services from various parts of India stage a protest at Jantar Mantar against proposed transport policies, in New Delhi, Saturday, Feb. 7, 2026.


App-based taxis and autorickshaws are off the roads across the nation on Saturday, to press a multitude of demands that include removal of panic button installations and action against “illegal” bike taxi services.


The day-long strike by drivers was initiated after a union called for it, with Dr. Keshav Kshirsagar, head of Maharashtra Kamgar Sabha, affirming the strike began across Maharashtra and other parts of the country in the morning.


The Maharashtra Kamgar Sabha had earlier said that the strike was aimed at opposing the “arbitrary” fare policies of ride aggregators, seeking strict enforcement against “illegal” bike taxi operations that were affecting the livelihoods of licensed cab and autorickshaw drivers.


The union representing gig workers also alleged that the mandatory installation of panic buttons has become a financial burden for operators.

 

Also Read: Karnataka HC lifts ban on bike taxis


“While there are 140 panic button device providers approved by the Central government, the state government has declared nearly 70 per cent of these companies unauthorised. As a result, cab drivers are being forced to remove previously installed devices and spend approximately ₹12,000 unnecessarily to install new devices, causing severe financial hardship,” the statement said.


The drivers’ body also flagged an increase in the number of autorickshaws under the open permit policy, saying they faced loss of income as a result. They alleged that victims of accidents involving illegal bike taxis are also denied insurance benefits.


Although Kshirsagar claimed that most autorickshaw and taxi drivers had supported the strike and kept their vehicles off the roads, taxis and autorickshaws were reported to have been available for booking on app-based platforms of major companies, including Uber, Ola and Rapido, since the early hours of the day.

TOP CATEGORIES

  • Nation

QUICK LINKS

About us Rss FeedSitemapPrivacy PolicyTerms & Condition
logo

2026 News Arena India Pvt Ltd | All rights reserved | The Ideaz Factory