Restrictions on public entry to the Taj Mahal, which were to be imposed on Tuesday due to the visit of Seychelles President Patrick Herminie, have been lifted after the visit was cancelled, officials said on Monday night.
“In view of the cancellation of the proposed VVIP visit, the Taj Mahal will remain open for the general public. Entry and ticketing will function as usual,” the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) said in a post on X.
Earlier on Sunday, the ASI had ordered the monument to be closed to visitors for two and a half hours from 9 am on Tuesday, in view of the President’s scheduled visit along with his wife, Veronique Herminie. However, sources said that only Veronique Herminie will now visit the Taj Mahal, following which the restrictions were withdrawn.
President Herminie arrived in India on February 5 for a five-day visit— his first since assuming office in October 2025. The visit coincides with the 50th anniversary of diplomatic relations between India and Seychelles, during which bilateral, regional and international issues of mutual interest are being discussed.
Meanwhile, Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana of Thailand is scheduled to arrive in Agra on Tuesday evening and will visit the Taj Mahal on Wednesday morning as a state guest of the Uttar Pradesh government.
Authorities said preparations for the VVIP visits are complete. Advance teams from both countries are already in Agra.
Additional District Magistrate (Protocol) Prashant Tiwari said a coordination meeting was held with concerned departments regarding the arrival of VVIP guests on February 10 and 11. Security, transportation and reception arrangements were discussed during the meeting.
Also read: 1,720-metre chadar to be offered at Shah Jahan’s Urs at Taj Mahal