News Arena

Home

ipl 2026assembly-elections

Nation

States

International

Politics

Defence & Security

Opinion

Economy

Sports

Entertainment

Trending:

Home
/

neymar-picked-for-brazil-s-world-cup-squad

Sports

Neymar picked for Brazil's World Cup squad

The 34-year-old remains Brazil’s all-time leading scorer with 79 international goals, but his road back to full fitness has been difficult since suffering a torn ACL in his left knee in October 2023.

News Arena Network - Rio de Janeiro - UPDATED: May 19, 2026, 03:08 PM - 2 min read

thumbnail image

Brazil’s soccer star Neymar.


Neymar has been included in Brazil’s World Cup squad, a decision that many local pundits and former footballers considered improbable just a few days earlier. The veteran forward is now set to feature in his fourth FIFA World Cup.


The 34-year-old remains Brazil’s all-time leading scorer with 79 international goals, but his road back to full fitness has been difficult since suffering a torn ACL in his left knee in October 2023. This year, Neymar has played eight matches for Santos FC, scoring four goals and providing two assists.


“He has improved his fitness and will be an important player for us in this World Cup,” Brazil head coach Carlo Ancelotti said during a press conference in Rio de Janeiro on Monday.


Ancelotti explained that he leaned toward experienced players for certain positions in the squad, with Neymar among those selections. “He can continue improving his fitness before the opening match of the World Cup,” the coach said.

 

Also read: Bayern Munich finally bag Bundesliga trophy


“He understands this kind of competition, the group values him highly, and he can help create a positive atmosphere within the squad.” Shortly before Ancelotti announced the final squad, Neymar appeared to hint at his inclusion by updating his Instagram bio. The forward, who previously only mentioned Santos, added Brazil to his profile description as well. Brazil’s 26-man squad also includes key attacking stars Vinícius Júnior and Raphinha, both of whom have played central roles for the national team in recent years.

 

Ancelotti, who took charge of Brazil in May 2025, had not called up Neymar before Monday’s announcement. The Italian manager recently extended his contract with the Brazilian Football Confederation through the 2030 World Cup, despite facing a difficult start marked by several injuries within the squad.
Among the biggest absentees for the tournament are forwards Rodrygo and Estevão, both sidelined through injury ahead of the competition in North America.


Brazil will begin their World Cup campaign against Morocco in New Jersey on June 13 before facing Haiti and Scotland in Group C.

 

TOP CATEGORIES

  • Nation

QUICK LINKS

About us Rss FeedSitemapPrivacy PolicyTerms & Condition
logo

2026 News Arena India Pvt Ltd | All rights reserved | The Ideaz Factory