News Arena

Home

Nation

States

International

Politics

Defence & Security

Opinion

Economy

Sports

Entertainment

Trending:

Home
/

contract-killer-in-cong-councilor-murder-case-dies-during-trial

States

Contract killer in Cong councilor murder case dies during trial

An inquest into the body was conducted on Tuesday in the presence of a magistrate. A post-mortem examination is scheduled for Wednesday, following which the body will be handed over to the family.

News Arena Network - Kolkata - UPDATED: August 4, 2026, 01:27 PM - 2 min read

thumbnail image

Representational image.


A contract killer accused in the murder of Congress councillor Tapan Kandu has died while undergoing treatment. Kalebar Singh (58) passed away on Monday morning at Purulia Government Medical College and Hospital after a prolonged illness, police sources said.

 

An inquest into the body was conducted on Tuesday in the presence of a magistrate. A post-mortem examination is scheduled for Wednesday, following which the body will be handed over to the family.

 

Singh had been lodged at the Purulia District Correctional Home since his arrest in connection with the case. However, he had reportedly been suffering from multiple health complications for a long time and had been admitted to the medical college hospital for nearly four months prior to his death.

His wife, Pratima Devi, stated that he had been undergoing treatment at several hospitals. “My husband had been ill for a long time. Bail applications were filed but not granted. I do not know whether he committed the murder or not, but I have no complaints against anyone,” she said.

 

The case dates back to March 13, 2022, when Kandu, councillor of Ward No. 2 in Jhalda Municipality, Purulia, was shot dead by unidentified assailants while out on a morning walk with friends. The incident triggered widespread political reactions across the state.

 

Initially probed by a Special Investigation Team (SIT) formed by the state government, the case was later handed over to the CBI following an order from the Calcutta High Court. Singh, a resident of Gaichad village under Jaridih police station in Jharkhand’s Bokaro district, was arrested during the SIT investigation.

 

The CBI filed a charge sheet in June 2022, naming five accused — Deepak Kandu, Kalebar Singh, Naren Kandu, Mohammad Ashik, and Satyaban Pramanik. With Singh’s death, this is the second fatality among the accused during the course of the trial. Earlier, Pramanik had died on November 12, 2023, due to illness.

 

Meanwhile, two other accused — Naren Kandu and Deepak Kandu — are currently out on bail following orders from the High Court. The trial in the case is still underway. 

 

Also read: Mamata’s silence over Kishor’s Bankipur victory raises eyebrows

 

TOP CATEGORIES

  • Nation

QUICK LINKS

About us Rss FeedSitemapPrivacy PolicyTerms & Condition
logo

2026 News Arena India Pvt Ltd | All rights reserved | The Ideaz Factory