News Arena

Home

T20 World Cup

Nation

States

International

Politics

Defence & Security

Opinion

Economy

Sports

Entertainment

Trending:

Home
/

decision-on-chinnaswamy-matches-on-feb-12-minister

States

Decision on Chinnaswamy matches on Feb 12: Minister

He said the decision will depend on whether the Karnataka State Cricket Association (KSCA), which manages the stadium, has met the required safety and security conditions.

News Arena Network - Bengaluru - UPDATED: February 11, 2026, 08:05 PM - 2 min read

thumbnail image

Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara


Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara on Wednesday said a meeting will be held on February 12 to decide whether permission can be granted to host cricket matches at the city’s M Chinnaswamy Stadium.


He said the decision will depend on whether the Karnataka State Cricket Association (KSCA), which manages the stadium, has met the required safety and security conditions.

 

Matches at the Chinnaswamy Stadium were stopped after a stampede outside the venue during Royal Challengers Bengaluru’s (RCB) IPL victory celebrations on June 4 last year, in which 11 people lost their lives.

 

A commission headed by Justice John Michael Cunha was set up to investigate the incident.

 

“There is nothing like good news or bad news. We will look into what all they (KSCA) have complied with the Justice Cunha Commission's report. I had constituted a committee to look into compliance headed by GBA (Greater Bengaluru Authority) Commissioner Maheshwar Rao, which also consisted of the  Bengaluru police commissioner (Seemanth Kumar Singh). Tomorrow we will discuss it,” the state Home Minister said when asked if fans could expect “good news” from the meeting.

 

Speaking to mediapersons, he said, “There is something like short term, medium term and long term measures that were suggested. It will be difficult for them (KSCA) to comply with all the measures immediately.”

 

He further stated “Instructions were given to comply with all the short term measures. They will give a report as to how much has been complied with. Our team has also visited the stadium twice and have done the inspection." "We will discuss everything. If satisfied, we will allow. If not, we will not allow it.”

 

The panel led by the GBA Commissioner includes the police commissioner and officials from the PWD, Fire and Health departments, and Bangalore Electricity Supply Company Limited (BESCOM).

 

Based on the committee’s findings, the government had in December denied permission to host the Vijay Hazare Trophy match at the Chinnaswamy Stadium, as the KSCA had failed to meet the safety and security requirements.

 

The minister had then told the KSCA to comply with the recommendations of the Justice Cunha Commission for their request to be considered.
The commission, which was formed to probe the June 4 stampede, reportedly concluded in its report that the “design and structure” of the stadium were “unsuitable and unsafe” for large gatherings.

 

It also reportedly recommended adequate gates for entry and exit, proper queuing and movement zones away from public roads, emergency evacuation plans in line with international safety norms, and sufficient parking facilities, among other measures.

 

TOP CATEGORIES

  • Nation

QUICK LINKS

About us Rss FeedSitemapPrivacy PolicyTerms & Condition
logo

2026 News Arena India Pvt Ltd | All rights reserved | The Ideaz Factory