Jharkhand appears to be moving closer towards becoming free from Left-wing extremism as a large number of Naxalites operating in the Saranda forests area are set to lay their arms and surrender before security forces in Ranchi on May 21.
Police sources said the group includes several wanted insurgents as well as female cadres, who have rewards on their heads.
Officials described the development as the biggest mass surrender in the history of anti-Naxal operations in Jharkhand. Never before have so many insurgents formally laid down arms together in the state.
According to inputs from police headquarters and security agencies, more than two dozen Maoists active in the dense Saranda forests will surrender along with over a dozen weapons in Ranchi on Thursday.
Sources said the cadres had been kept at secure locations in forest areas before being gradually shifted to Ranchi. Security officials believe most of these rebels belonged to the squad led by dreaded Maoist commander Misir Besra, who carries a bounty of Rs 1 crore.
Also read: Telangana claims end of Maoist presence after mass surrenders
Police sources said the Maoist strength in the Saranda region earlier stood at around 45 to 50 members, but the number is now believed to have reduced significantly. Intelligence officials also indicated that several of those who will surrender are hardcore female Maoists.
These insurgents reportedly carry rewards ranging from Rs 1 lakh to Rs 10 lakh.
According to officials, the formal surrender ceremony will take place at the Police Headquarters in Ranchi on Thursday in the presence of the Director General of Police and senior officers from the Kolhan region.
Under Jharkhand Police’s revised surrender and rehabilitation policy introduced last year, surrendered Maoists will now be shifted to the open jail in Hazaribagh instead of conventional prisons. There, they will be allowed to stay with their families and participate in skill development and livelihood training programmes aimed at rehabilitation and reintegration into society.
Officials said the initiative is designed to help former extremists secure employment opportunities after their release, although those carrying reward money on their heads are not eligible for government employment benefits.