News Arena

Home

T20 World Cup

Nation

States

International

Politics

Defence & Security

Opinion

Economy

Sports

Entertainment

Trending:

Home
/

mp-admits-22-water-deaths-in-indore-house-adjourned-twice

States

MP admits 22 water deaths in Indore, House adjourned twice

The Madhya Pradesh Assembly was adjourned twice after the government admitted that 22 people died due to contaminated drinking water in Indore’s Bhagirathpura last December. The

News Arena Network - Indore - UPDATED: February 19, 2026, 07:54 PM - 2 min read

thumbnail image

The MP Assembly underway. (File photo)


The Madhya Pradesh Assembly was adjourned twice on Thursday after the government admitted that 22 people had died due to contaminated drinking water in Bhagirathpura area of Indore between December 21 and 29, triggering uproar during the ongoing Budget session.

The controversy erupted during Question Hour when Leader of the Opposition Umang Singhar sought details on deaths caused by contaminated water, the number of affected patients and compensation extended to the victims’ families.

Responding to the query, Health Minister and Deputy Chief Minister Rajendra Shukla informed the House that 22 deaths had been confirmed following a sudden outbreak of diarrhoea in the locality. He said the government had provided compensation of Rs 2 lakh to each bereaved family.

The admission led to noisy scenes, with Congress MLAs accusing the administration of negligence and insensitivity. Opposition members trooped into the Well of the House, raised slogans and staged a sit-in protest, forcing the Speaker to adjourn proceedings.

The Opposition demanded the resignation of Chief Minister Mohan Yadav, Shukla and Urban Administration Minister Kailash Vijayvargiya, holding them accountable for the tragedy.

Singhar criticised the compensation amount, arguing that higher ex gratia is often granted in cases such as animal bite deaths, while victims of alleged administrative failure received less. He further claimed that the actual death toll could be higher than the official figure and alleged that it might exceed 35.

Also Read: Indore water crisis: Rickshaw driver’s death triggers fresh claim

Amid mounting protests, the Chief Minister assured the House that the government had acted swiftly and transparently. He said immediate administrative steps were taken, including suspension of the district collector concerned. Yadav added that the compensation could be enhanced to Rs 4 lakh or Rs 5 lakh per family if deemed necessary.

Panchayati Raj Minister Prahlad Patel contended that the matter was under investigation and sub judice, and suggested that detailed discussion should be avoided to prevent interference with the probe.

However, the Speaker permitted limited discussion after examining procedural rules. Opposition members countered the government’s stand by citing past incidents such as the Vyapam scam and the Mandsaur firing, which were debated in the House despite ongoing investigations.

The heated exchanges underscored growing political tensions in the state, with the Opposition pressing for accountability over the public health crisis and the government defending its response as prompt and responsible.

TOP CATEGORIES

  • Nation

QUICK LINKS

About us Rss FeedSitemapPrivacy PolicyTerms & Condition
logo

2026 News Arena India Pvt Ltd | All rights reserved | The Ideaz Factory