News Arena

Home

T20 World Cup

Nation

States

International

Politics

Defence & Security

Opinion

Economy

Sports

Entertainment

Trending:

Home
/

preps-underway-for-op-prahar-says-punjab-dgp

States

Preps underway for 'Op Prahar', says Punjab DGP

Following a high-level meeting with top police officials, Yadav warned that wanted gangsters will be hunted down regardless of where they hide within India.

News Arena Network - Chandigarh - UPDATED: February 8, 2026, 03:55 PM - 2 min read

thumbnail image

Punjab DGP Gaurav Yadav - file image.


Punjab DGP Gaurav Yadav announced that from Monday, February 19, Phase 2 of "Operation Prahar" will be launched, doubling down on the state's crackdown to completely eradicate gangster culture. The Punjab Police has already initiated legal proceedings with a view towards extradition or deportation of 38 gangsters who are currently orchestrating crimes from different countries in a big move to dismantle criminal networks operating from abroad. According to the DGP, these individuals are part of a broader list of 61 suspects, with documentation against the rest currently being prepared in coordination with the Central Government.

 

Following a high-level meeting with top police officials, Yadav warned that wanted gangsters will be hunted down regardless of where they hide within India. He also addressed the recent murders committed in Mohali and Jalandhar cities, prompting public worries. He affirmed that the main culprits have been identified and arrests will be made soon. The Police Chief also highlighted the successes achieved during the first phase of Operation Prahar, initiated on January 20, where more than 5,200 associates were arrested and close to 14,000 suspects were verified. He also strongly refuted recent accusations of illegal detention, as alleged on social platforms, affirming action is only enforced on perpetrators of crime.

 

Besides physical detentions, the police are targeting the virtual existence of these groups as well, having filed as many as 350 FIRs against the virtual accounts of these social media sites that are filled with fear and threats to policemen and other security personnel, including the wanted criminal Goldy Brar. This operation includes the suspension of 3,500 arms licenses and pending ones too.

 

While acknowledging the challenges, DGP Yadav emphasised that Punjab’s crime rate remains significantly lower than the national average and noted that police have solved 84 of the 92 shooting incidents recorded since last year. Furthermore, the ongoing 'Yudh Nasheyan Virudh' campaign against drugs has seen 45,000 arrests and the recovery of over 2,100 kg of heroin to date.

 

 

Also read: Sidhus come home to roost for Gandhis

TOP CATEGORIES

  • Nation

QUICK LINKS

About us Rss FeedSitemapPrivacy PolicyTerms & Condition
logo

2026 News Arena India Pvt Ltd | All rights reserved | The Ideaz Factory