Seven Naxalites, including two women, were killed in an encounter with security forces in the Narayanpur district of Chhattisgarh on Thursday, just days before Union Home Minister Amit Shah's scheduled three-day visit to the state, commencing on December 14.
The gunfight erupted in the early hours around 3 am in the dense forest of south Abujhmad, located along the Narayanpur-Dantewada border, according to Inspector General of Police (Bastar Range) Sundarraj P.
The operation, hailed as a major victory against Naxalism, involved personnel from the District Reserve Guard (DRG), Special Task Force (STF), and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
The exchange of fire, which persisted intermittently for over seven hours, resulted in the recovery of seven Naxalites' bodies clad in uniform. A cache of weapons and daily-use items were also seized from the site.
Security forces reported no casualties on their side, and the operation remains ongoing in the area to ensure the region's safety.
IG Sundarraj disclosed that the operation was launched on December 10 following intelligence reports of the presence of Maad division Naxalites in the vicinity.
Chief Minister Vishnu Deo Sai expressed gratitude to the forces, stating, "I salute and congratulate the bravery of all the security forces involved in the operation. Our fight will continue till Naxalism is eradicated."
Amit Shah’s visit
Union Home Minister Amit Shah will visit Chhattisgarh from December 14-16, during which he is set to review the state’s law-and-order situation, engage with surrendered Naxals and locals, and attend several events.
Shah will chair a security review meeting in Raipur and present the President's Colour Award to the Chhattisgarh Police for their commendable efforts against Naxal extremism.
As part of his itinerary, Shah will visit Jagdalpur to interact with surrendered Naxals and locals, attend the closing ceremony of the Bastar Olympics, and meet families affected by left-wing extremism. He is also scheduled to oversee developmental works and dine with jawans at security camps.
Last week, Chief Minister Sai apprised Shah of the state’s progress in combating Naxalism, stating that Bastar and Kondagaon districts are now free of extremist activities.
The President's Colour Award is expected to significantly boost the morale of the state’s police force.
This medal will give new impetus to the sense of duty of these police personnel who are committed to the service and security of the people of the state, they said.
"Under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, operations are being conducted against Naxalism with a 'Zero Tolerance' policy and ultra-modern methods," a source said.