News Arena

Home

T20 World Cup

Nation

States

International

Politics

Defence & Security

Opinion

Economy

Sports

Entertainment

Trending:

Home
/

china-backs-cuba-amid-rising-tensions-with-us

International

China backs Cuba amid rising tensions with US

On Thursday, Chinese Foreign Minister, Wang Yi, met with his Cuban counterpart, Bruno Rodríguez Parrilla, in Beijing to discuss ongoing US-Cuba tensions, and concluded with Yi extending support to Cuba

News Arena Network - Beijing - UPDATED: February 6, 2026, 10:08 AM - 2 min read

thumbnail image

On Thursday, Chinese Foreign Minister, Wang Yi, met with his Cuban counterpart, Bruno Rodríguez Parrilla, in Beijing


China has voiced strong support for Cuba after the United States labelled the island nation a “security threat”.


On Thursday, Chinese Foreign Minister, Wang Yi, met with his Cuban counterpart, Bruno Rodríguez Parrilla, in Beijing to discuss ongoing US-Cuba tensions, and concluded with Yi extending support to Cuba.


Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Lin Jianm said after the meeting that “China firmly supports Cuba in safeguarding its national sovereignty and security, opposes unwarranted interference by external forces, and rejects any attempt to deprive the Cuban people of their rights to survival and development”.


Lin added that China stands ready to support Cuba “with everything and the best of its ability.”


Cuban Foreign Minister Parrilla also posted on X that the two sides had “affirmed the special and strategic nature of the historical ties between the two socialist countries.”

 

Also Read: Cuba, US engaged in talks, says Cuban foreign minister


The statement came after US President Donald Trump declared a national emergency in relations with Cuba last week, accusing Havana of aligning with “hostile countries, international terrorist groups, and malign actors”.


Trump’s executive order claimed Cuba’s military cooperation and contacts with Russia, China, Iran, Hamas, and Hezbollah pose “a direct threat to US national security.” “The United States has zero tolerance for the depredations of the communist Cuban regime,” the order stated.


Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel rejected the allegations on Thursday, saying Cuba is not a terrorist country. “Cuba is also not a threat to the security of the United States. We do not protect terrorists,” he said.


He also said he was ready to discuss issues with the United States “without pressure and preconditions, based on equality and respect.”


In the backdrop of US-Cuba tensions is the United States’ January 3 attack on Venezuela, which resulted in the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, both in a New York jail currently facing charges of drug trafficking and weapons offences – a move that many nations have described as illegal.


Since then, Trump and US Secretary of State, Marco Rubio, have issued threats against left-wing governments of Colombia and Nicaragua.


However, Trump hosted Colombian President, Gustavo Petro, at the White House this week, with both leaders describing the meeting as cordial.

TOP CATEGORIES

  • Nation

QUICK LINKS

About us Rss FeedSitemapPrivacy PolicyTerms & Condition
logo

2026 News Arena India Pvt Ltd | All rights reserved | The Ideaz Factory