Cuban government officials have confirmed that they are in communication with US President Donald Trump’s administration for a possible trade deal, but that nothing has been formalised so far.
Cuban Foreign Minister Carlos Fernández de Cossío said in an interview broadcast late on Monday that while there has been no dialogue with the US, “there have indeed been communications between the two governments”.
On Sunday, Trump had said that the US government was in talks with “the highest people” in communist Cuba and that he expected to “make a deal” with its leadership, without specifying the nature of any potential agreement.
Cuba has indicated it remains open to negotiations with the US amid growing domestic calls for the government to engage in talks in order to avert a deepening humanitarian crisis after Trump intensified pressure on Havana to stop purchasing Venezuelan crude oil, especially after the capture of Venezuelan President, Nicolas Maduro, early January this year.
Also Read: Colombian President to meet Trump next week
The US government has also compelled the Caracas interim government to halt crude oil shipments to Cuba.
On Monday, Trump reiterated that Cuba’s other main supplier, Mexico, would also “cease sending them oil” after he threatened to impose higher tariffs on any country allowing Cuba to circumvent the de facto blockade. Calling Cuba “a failed nation”, he said: “I believe we are pretty close (to a deal), but we are dealing with the Cuban leaders right now.”
Mexico, which delivered humanitarian aid to Cuba on Monday, did not respond publicly to Trump’s threats, although the country’s President, Claudia Sheinbaum, has been reluctant to cut Cuba’s lifeline, warning of a “far-reaching humanitarian crisis directly affecting hospitals, food supplies, and other basic services for the Cuban people”.
Trump’s pressure tactics threaten to plunge Cuba into complete darkness, with its power plants already struggling to keep the lights on due to severe fuel shortages.