News Arena

Home

ipl 2026assembly-elections

Nation

States

International

Politics

Defence & Security

Opinion

Economy

Sports

Entertainment

Trending:

Home
/

search-on-for-5-italians-dead-in-maldives-scuba-accident

International

Search on for 5 Italians dead in Maldives scuba accident

Italy’s Foreign Ministry said the five divers ‘apparently died while attempting to explore caves at a depth of 50 metres’; probe on into circumstances leading to their death

News Arena Network - Rome - UPDATED: May 15, 2026, 05:00 PM - 2 min read

thumbnail image

Representational image.


An Italian expert joined police divers and rescue vessels for searches in the Maldives on Friday, a day after five Italian divers were killed in a scuba accident, authorities said.

 

Italy’s Foreign Ministry said the five divers “apparently died while attempting to explore caves at a depth of 50 metres (164 feet)” on Thursday. It said the circumstances of their death remain under investigation.

 

Maldivian authorities said they launched a major rescue operation after the incident on Thursday, deploying boats, aircraft and dive teams to search the area. One diver was found dead in a deep underwater cave, with the body recovered from nearly 60 metres (200 feet) below the surface, the Maldives National Defence Force said in statement.

 

The remaining four divers were believed to be inside the same cave, and additional teams and specialized equipment were being sent for what officials described as a dangerous, high-risk operation. The Italian foreign ministry did not provide information on the recovery of bodies. It said an Italian expert was assisting the coast guard and Maldivian vessels in the search operation on Friday.

 

It said officials planned a dive to evaluate access to an underwater cave in the Vaavu Atoll, where the accident occurred, but rough weather conditions could delay the recovery.

 

The ministry added that Italy's ambassador to Colombo, which oversees relations with the Maldives, has traveled to the capital Malé to meet with coast guard officials. The Italian Embassy was also in contact with the victims' families and providing assistance.

 

The group had been on a morning dive near Alimathaa, and was reported missing after failing to surface by midday Thursday, according to initial reports. Conditions were described as unfavorable at the time, with a yellow weather alert in effect.

 

Also read: Six killed as Innova falls into gorge in Chamba

TOP CATEGORIES

  • Nation

QUICK LINKS

About us Rss FeedSitemapPrivacy PolicyTerms & Condition
logo

2026 News Arena India Pvt Ltd | All rights reserved | The Ideaz Factory