Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday said the Centre and the Chhattisgarh government are fully committed to ensuring permanent peace and last-mile development in Bastar after the region was declared free from armed Maoists earlier this year.
Addressing a programme at Amar Vatika in Jagdalpur, Amit Shah paid tribute to more than 1,000 security personnel who lost their lives in the fight against Maoism in the Bastar region.
“The sacrifices of our jawans in establishing peace, security and development in Bastar region will never be forgotten. The sacrifice of brave personnel who laid down their lives for the security of the nation will never go in vain,” Shah said, according to an official statement.
He said both the Centre and the state government were working with “full commitment” to ensure that lasting peace is maintained in Bastar and development reaches the “last person”.
The visit marks Shah’s first trip to Chhattisgarh after the state government declared the region free from armed Maoists on March 31.
Also read: Malaria outbreak hits anti-Maoist operations in Jharkhand
Chief Minister Vishnu Deo Sai, who accompanied the Union minister, said Bastar was entering “a new era of peace, trust and development” and credited security forces for their role in the transformation of the region.
During the programme, Shah also met the families of security personnel Kalendra Prasad Nayak and Pawan Kumar Mandavi, who were killed in a Maoist attack in Bijapur district. He assured them of continued government support.
The Union minister later interacted with security personnel and praised their courage, dedication and commitment in anti-Maoist operations.
Deputy Chief Minister Vijay Sharma, Forest Minister Kedar Kashyap, Jagdalpur MLA Kiran Deo and senior administrative and police officials were also present at the event.
The Centre has repeatedly emphasised its focus on eliminating Left Wing Extremism while simultaneously expanding development and infrastructure projects in Maoist-affected areas.