Schools in Gautam Buddh Nagar of Noida district received bomb threats on Thursday, which police said were later found to be hoax calls. At least three schools in Delhi also received bomb threats through e-mail on Thursday, prompting swift evacuation and search operations by emergency agencies, an official of the Delhi Fire Services said. Punjab Civil Secretariat also received a bomb threat via email, following which the security was beefed up.
"The Gautam Buddh Nagar Police reacted immediately and ensured checking in all the schools through the bomb disposal squad, anti-sabotage check team, and dog squad," police said in a statement, adding, "The situation is completely normal, and peace and order prevail at the spot. People are advised not to pay attention to rumours.”
Intensive searches are ongoing at schools, and nothing suspicious has been found so far.
"We received information about bomb threat e-mails to three schools: CRPF Public School and St Thomas School in Dwarka, and DAV Centenary Public School in Paschim Enclave. Fire tenders and rescue teams were rushed to the locations as a precautionary measure," the DFS officer said.
As a precautionary measure, school authorities evacuated students and staff from the premises while search operations were carried out. No suspicious object was found during preliminary searches and detailed sanitisation checks were being conducted across the campuses.
Police said the cyber teams have been alerted and efforts are underway to trace the origin of the e-mails.
"The e-mails are being examined to determine their source and authenticity. We are also verifying whether similar threats were sent to other institutions," a police officer said.
Meanwhile, the Punjab Civil Secretariat also received a bomb threat via email. Immediate evacuation was carried out and security has been beefed up.