In one of the biggest anti-Naxal breakthroughs in recent years, a total of 27 extremists — including top Maoist commanders active in the Kolhan and Saranda regions and members of the Jharkhand Jan Mukti Parishad (JJMP) operating in Gumla district — surrendered before the Jharkhand Police under the state’s rehabilitation initiative, Operation “Navjeevan”, officials said on Thursday.
According to officials, 25 members of the banned CPI (Maoist), including senior commanders linked to Central Committee member Misir Besra alias Sagar Ji and Asim Mandal’s squad, laid down arms along with a large cache of weapons and ammunition. The surrender took place amid intensified anti-Naxal operations being jointly conducted by the Jharkhand Police, CRPF CoBRA battalions, and Jharkhand Jaguar.
Security officials said the cadres surrendered with 16 weapons and 2,857 rounds of ammunition.
The surrendered Maoists included six Special Zonal Committee Members (SZCMs), six Area Committee Members (ACMs), and 13-armed squad members who were considered highly familiar with the dense forest and hilly terrain of Kolhan and Saranda.
In a separate development, two cadres of the outlawed Jharkhand Jan Mukti Parishad (JJMP), including one SZCM and one ACM active in Gumla district, also surrendered with one firearm and 130 rounds of ammunition.
Police described the mass surrender as a major setback for Maoist activities in Jharkhand, particularly in West Singhbhum district and adjoining regions, where security forces have intensified operations over the past year.
The Jharkhand Police stated that continuous anti-Naxal campaigns, growing pressure from security forces, internal exploitation within Maoist ranks, and the state government’s surrender and rehabilitation policy have contributed significantly to extremists returning to the mainstream.
As part of the ongoing crackdown in 2026, officials said security forces have so far arrested 44 Maoists, secured the surrender of 29 extremists, and neutralised 22 insurgents in encounters across the state.
To strengthen security presence and maintain public confidence in Maoist-affected regions of Chaibasa district, authorities have also established 21 new Advanced Camp Locations (ACLs) and Forward Operating Bases (FOBs) across the Saranda region.
Police further noted that sustained pressure by Jharkhand Police has forced several Maoist operatives to surrender even in neighbouring states such as Telangana and West Bengal.
Authorities said all the surrendered CPI (Maoist) cadres were local residents of West Singhbhum (Chaibasa) and Giridih districts, who had earlier been recruited into Maoist squads.
Officials believe their surrender will significantly weaken the insurgent network in Jharkhand and deal a severe blow to local Maoist formations operating in forested belts of the state.
Appealing to remaining insurgents, Jharkhand Police urged Maoist cadres to abandon violence and extortion and take advantage of the state government’s surrender and rehabilitation policy to return to normal life.
“Twenty-seven Maoists, wanted in a large number of cases, surrendered before the police under ‘Operation Navjeevan’. A total of 22 Maoists were killed, 44 arrested, and 29 surrendered in 2026. We appeal to the remaining few to return to the mainstream," a senior police officer said.
"We appeal to those who have not surrendered to renounce the path of violence and come to the mainstream," CRPF IG Saket Singh said.