News Arena

Home

T20 World Cup

Nation

States

International

Politics

Defence & Security

Opinion

Economy

Sports

Entertainment

Trending:

Home
/

after-mha-nod-suspended-dig-bhullar-to-face-trial

States

After MHA nod, suspended DIG Bhullar to face trial

Before granting sanction, the MHA examined the investigation records and referred the case to the Central Vigilance Commission. The Commission recommended prosecution after finding sufficient material to establish a prima facie case.

News Arena Network - Chandigarh - UPDATED: February 18, 2026, 01:19 PM - 2 min read

thumbnail image

Suspended Punjab Police DIG Harcharan Singh Bhullar


The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has granted sanction to prosecute arrested and suspended Punjab DIG Harcharan Singh Bhullar, removing a key legal hurdle and paving the way for his trial in a corruption case, according to senior officials.

 

In an order dated January 23, the MHA approved prosecution under Section 19(2) of the Prevention of Corruption Act (PCA), 1988, in the name of the President of India. Bhullar, a 2009-batch IPS officer of the Punjab cadre, will be tried under the PCA (amended in 2018) along with Section 61(2) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS), 2023. The case is based on an investigation by the CBI’s anti-corruption branch in Chandigarh.

 

Before granting sanction, the MHA examined the investigation records and referred the case to the Central Vigilance Commission. The Commission recommended prosecution after finding sufficient material to establish a prima facie case.

 

The competent authority concluded that offences under Section 61(2) of the BNS, 2023, and Sections 7 and 12 of the PCA were prima facie made out against Bhullar. In a parallel development, the CBI filed a supplementary chargesheet before the Special CBI Court in Chandigarh. The court has listed the matter for further hearing on February 21.

 

The supplementary chargesheet, filed under Section 193(9) of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita, is based on forensic analysis of mobile phones seized from Bhullar and his alleged middleman, Kirshanu Sharda.

 

Officials said the digital data did not reveal any new incriminating material or involvement of additional public servants or private individuals directly connected to the bribe demand, acceptance, or recovery in the present FIR. However, investigators found separate material in the phones, seized documents and interrogation disclosures pointing to other suspicious transactions. These relate to alleged illegal gratification and misuse of official position by public servants in Chandigarh. Officials said these findings are separate from the current case and are being examined separately.

 

The CBI has asked the court to take cognisance of both the main and supplementary chargesheets and proceed with trial against Bhullar and Sharda in accordance with law. On Monday, the Punjab and Haryana High Court dismissed Bhullar’s petition for regular bail in the corruption case. This marks another setback for the suspended IPS officer, who has been in custody since October last year.

 

Bhullar and Sharda were arrested on October 16 in a ₹5-lakh bribery trap case in Chandigarh. Later, on October 29, the CBI and the Punjab Vigilance Bureau registered a separate disproportionate assets case against them.

 

Also Read: DIG arrested from Mohali office in ‘corruption’ case

 

TOP CATEGORIES

  • Nation

QUICK LINKS

About us Rss FeedSitemapPrivacy PolicyTerms & Condition
logo

2026 News Arena India Pvt Ltd | All rights reserved | The Ideaz Factory