Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister and senior Congress leader D K Shivakumar on Thursday sought to put to rest speculation over differences within the state Congress following the recent Cabinet expansion, asserting that there was "no problem" in the party and that all leaders remained committed to the organisation despite aspirations for ministerial positions.
Addressing mediapersons in Bengaluru, Shivakumar acknowledged that some senior leaders were disappointed after being left out of the expanded ministry but said such aspirations were natural in a democratic political party.
"There is no problem. Definitely, we have to respect the sentiments of a few seniors, but we have only 33 seats. I don't deny anyone's desire. All of us are committed and loyal to the party," Shivakumar said.
His remarks came a day after he met the Congress high command in New Delhi amid reports of dissatisfaction within the Karnataka unit over the allocation of ministerial berths and portfolios following the Cabinet expansion carried out earlier this week.
The expansion, announced on August 3, triggered discontent among several senior legislators who were not accommodated in the ministry despite expectations of being inducted. The development led to intense political discussions within the party regarding seniority, regional representation and community balance in the Cabinet.
In an effort to address the concerns of party leaders, Shivakumar, along with AICC General Secretary Randeep Singh Surjewala, met veteran Congress MLA M Krishnappa and party leader Priya Krishna at their residence in Bengaluru.
Following the meeting, Surjewala described the Congress as a united family and said differences of opinion were natural in any large political organisation.
"We are all part of one family. In a family, there will be genuine concerns. It is our responsibility to meet our family members, listen to them and resolve issues through discussion," he said, while praising M Krishnappa as one of the party's most senior and respected leaders.
The Congress leadership's outreach comes at a time when several party leaders have openly expressed disappointment over being excluded from the expanded ministry. Adding to the political developments, Raichur Rural MLA Basanagouda Daddal resigned as Chairman of the Karnataka Maharshi Valmiki Scheduled Tribes Development Corporation on Wednesday. However, another Congress MLA, Yashwanthrayagoud V Patil, withdrew the resignation he had submitted a day earlier after discussions with the party leadership.
The Cabinet expansion also left out several experienced Congress leaders, including HK Patil, Dinesh Gundu Rao, Lakshmi Hebbalkar, Shivanand Patil, RB Thimmapur, RV Deshpande, K Venkatesh, M Krishnappa, Tanveer Sait, Appaji Nadagouda and HC Mahadevappa. Their exclusion has fuelled discussions over representation of various regions and communities, as well as the balance between senior leaders and younger faces in the state Cabinet.
Despite the speculation, Shivakumar maintained that the Congress leadership was committed to maintaining unity and ensuring that every leader's concerns were heard. He stressed that the number of ministerial positions was limited and that not every deserving leader could be accommodated simultaneously.
Later in the day, Shivakumar shifted focus from politics to public events by inaugurating the Independence Day Lalbagh Flower Show in Bengaluru. The annual horticultural exhibition, one of Karnataka's most popular public events, will be held from August 6 to August 17 and has been themed around the Ganga dynasty this year.
Also read: https://newsarenaindia.com/states/k-taka-electoral-roll-revision-nears-deadline/83993
Expressing happiness at inaugurating the exhibition, Shivakumar invited the public to visit the flower show over the next ten days and appreciate the elaborate floral displays inspired by Karnataka's rich historical heritage.
He also announced the state government's plans to expand Bengaluru's green spaces by developing three more Lalbagh-style botanical gardens in the city. Shivakumar said discussions were underway with the Ministry of Defence for the transfer of defence land for the project and added that the Prime Minister had given consent for one such parcel of land. Besides this, the Karnataka Government has identified two additional land parcels belonging to the Forest Department for the proposed expansion.
The Deputy Chief Minister said the initiative would enhance Bengaluru's green cover, provide more recreational spaces for residents and strengthen the city's identity as India's "Garden City." Even as political discussions continue over the Cabinet expansion, Shivakumar reiterated that the Congress remains united and focused on governance and development in Karnataka.