The ongoing Amarnath Yatra has been suspended from Jammu on Saturday due to inclement weather conditions prevailing in Ramban district and other parts of the Kashmir Valley, officials said.
No fresh Yatra convoy was allowed to enter Kashmir amid precautionary measures in view of the bad weather and slippery road conditions.
According to the Joint Police Control Room, the previous batch of 1,202 pilgrims who performed darshan at the holy cave and were staying at the Baltal base camp was allowed to depart for Jammu in a convoy of 44 vehicles.
The returning pilgrims included 867 males, 251 females, one child, 79 sadhus and four sadhvis.
The authorities in Jammu and Kashmir are keeping a close watch over the prevailing bad weather conditions across widespread areas.
A risk-averse approach has been adopted by the authorities following last year’s deadly flash flood incidents in which around 34 pilgrims lost their lives.
The incident took place days after a devastating cloudburst had killed around 64 people in Kishtwar during the Machail Mata Yatra.
Earlier, the Yatra was suspended for six days when Divisional Commissioner Kashmir Anshul Garg said that slippery road conditions and bad weather were posing a danger to the lives of the Yatris.
Also read: Over 900 Amarnath pilgrims leave Jammu for Baltal