News Arena

Home

Nation

States

International

Politics

Defence & Security

Opinion

Economy

Sports

Entertainment

Trending:

Home
/

footpath-drive-wipes-out-decades-old-shops-in-bengaluru

States

Footpath drive wipes out ‘decades-old’ shops in Bengaluru

Hundreds of street vendors and small traders near Bengaluru's historic K.R. Market were left devastated on Wednesday after civic authorities demolished more than 200 makeshift shops as part of a large-scale footpath encroachment removal drive aimed at reclaiming public spaces for pedestrians.

News Arena Network - Bengaluru - UPDATED: August 6, 2026, 07:04 PM - 2 min read

thumbnail image

Representational image.


Hundreds of street vendors and small traders near Bengaluru's historic K.R. Market were left devastated on Wednesday after civic authorities demolished more than 200 makeshift shops as part of a large-scale footpath encroachment removal drive aimed at reclaiming public spaces for pedestrians.


The demolition, carried out by the Bengaluru Central City Corporation under its 'Safe Footpath' initiative, transformed one of the city's busiest commercial stretches into a scene of chaos and heartbreak as shopkeepers watched years—some said decades—of hard work being reduced to rubble within hours.


Many traders stood helplessly as earthmovers rolled in, tearing down stalls and temporary structures that had served as their primary source of income for years. Several vendors broke down in tears, while others desperately attempted to salvage whatever merchandise they could before the demolition machinery reached their shops.


The operation targeted the stretch opposite K.R. Market, one of Bengaluru's oldest and busiest wholesale markets, where hundreds of small businesses selling vegetables, flowers, household goods, clothing, footwear and other daily-use items operate. According to civic officials, nearly 233 encroaching structures occupying public footpaths were removed during the drive.


Many affected traders claimed they had been conducting business at the location for several decades and insisted that they possessed documents or records supporting their occupation of the area. Some shopkeepers tried to present old licences, tax receipts and other papers to officials in an effort to save their establishments, but the demolition continued as planned.


Several vendors alleged that the drive had deprived them of their only source of livelihood without providing any immediate rehabilitation or alternative space for conducting business. Many expressed concern over how they would support their families after losing their shops.


Eyewitnesses described emotional scenes as families gathered around the demolition site, watching helplessly while years of investment disappeared. Some traders hurriedly packed goods into sacks and handcarts, while others searched through the debris hoping to recover valuable items before they were cleared away.


To ensure the operation proceeded without obstruction, the civic body deployed a large contingent of personnel. Around 140 officials and staff members participated in the drive, including nearly 60 engineers, 60 personnel from Bengaluru Solid Waste Management Ltd (BSWML) and 20 officials from the Health Department.


In anticipation of protests or resistance, substantial security arrangements were made. Police personnel were deployed across the area to maintain law and order, while teams from the Fire and Emergency Services Department and ambulances remained stationed nearby as a precautionary measure throughout the operation.


Officials said the demolition formed part of the city's broader initiative to reclaim footpaths from encroachments and improve pedestrian safety. According to the civic body, illegal structures occupying public walkways had forced pedestrians to walk on busy roads, increasing the risk of accidents and creating severe traffic congestion in one of Bengaluru's most crowded commercial zones.


Authorities maintained that the "Safe Footpath" campaign is intended to restore public spaces for their intended use and ensure smoother movement for pedestrians, particularly in high-footfall areas such as K.R. Market.

 

Also read: IMD to commission X-band doppler weather radar in Wayanad


The drive, however, has reignited the long-standing debate between urban planning and the livelihoods of informal workers. While civic authorities argue that encroachments must be removed to improve public infrastructure and ensure pedestrian safety, affected vendors say that street trading remains their only means of earning a living and that eviction without proper rehabilitation leaves hundreds of families vulnerable.


Several trader associations have urged the authorities to formulate a comprehensive rehabilitation plan, including designated vending zones, before undertaking such large-scale eviction drives. They argued that many vendors have been serving customers in the area for years and contribute significantly to the local economy.


The demolition near K.R. Market is expected to be one of the largest anti-encroachment drives carried out in central Bengaluru in recent months. Civic officials indicated that similar operations would continue in other parts of the city as part of ongoing efforts to clear footpaths, improve accessibility and create safer public spaces for pedestrians, while calls for balancing urban development with the protection of street vendors' livelihoods are likely to remain at the forefront of public debate.

 

TOP CATEGORIES

  • Nation

QUICK LINKS

About us Rss FeedSitemapPrivacy PolicyTerms & Condition
logo

2026 News Arena India Pvt Ltd | All rights reserved | The Ideaz Factory