News Arena

Home

T20 World Cup

Nation

States

International

Politics

Defence & Security

Opinion

Economy

Sports

Entertainment

Trending:

Home
/

rg-kar-hospital-scam-whistleblower-asked-to-surrender-on-monday

States

RG Kar Hospital scam whistleblower asked to surrender on Monday

A day earlier, on Friday, the CBI court had issued an arrest warrant case against him. He appeared in court on Saturday to surrender. However, the process could not be completed within the stipulated time, and he had to leave the courtroom.

News Arena Network - Kolkata - UPDATED: February 7, 2026, 08:21 PM - 2 min read

thumbnail image

While entering the court, Akhtar Ali, former deputy superintendent of RG Kar Medical College and Hospital and a key whistleblower in the alleged corruption case claimed that the allegations against him were baseless.


Akhtar Ali, former deputy superintendent of RG Kar Medical College and Hospital and a key whistleblower in the alleged corruption case at the institution, appeared before the CBI special court in Alipore on Saturday after being discharged from a government hospital.

 

A day earlier, on Friday, the CBI court had issued an arrest warrant case against him. He appeared in court on Saturday to surrender. However, the process could not be completed within the stipulated time, and he had to leave the courtroom.

 

While entering the court, Akhtar claimed that the allegations against him were baseless. He said the financial transactions under scrutiny were actually money borrowed for his grandfather’s treatment and alleged that he was being framed in a planned manner. He also accused former RG Kar principal Sandip Ghosh of conspiring against him.

 

Despite appearing in court, Akhtar was not accompanied by a lawyer, and the court had not been informed in advance about his arrival. According to court sources, the courtroom closed by 12:30 pm, leaving no scope for the surrender process.

 

“I was in the hospital and was sick. I didn’t have my mobile with me, so I didn’t know when the court would close. I came today and found the court closed. I have been asked to surrender on Monday. I will do it that day. If I am arrested, I will accept that too,” he said.

 

The case stems from allegations of financial corruption that surfaced during the investigation into the rape and murder of a doctor at RG Kar Medical College. At the time, Akhtar, then deputy superintendent, had accused principal Ghosh of financial irregularities. The matter eventually reached the court and was later handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

 

During its probe, the CBI claimed that Akhtar himself was involved in financial irregularities. A charge sheet has been filed against him. However, he failed to appear in court despite multiple summons and had sought anticipatory bail from the Calcutta High Court citing illness. The High Court rejected his plea.

 

Following the rejection, the Alipore CBI Special Court on Friday ordered the issuance of an arrest warrant against him. On Thursday night, he had been admitted to a hospital after complaining of back pain and was on rest as advised by doctors.

 

From the hospital, he maintained that he was not involved in any corruption and was being targeted for exposing irregularities at the government medical college. He repeated the same claims after appearing in court on Saturday.

 

Also read: Mamata’s budget bets big on key vote bank

TOP CATEGORIES

  • Nation

QUICK LINKS

About us Rss FeedSitemapPrivacy PolicyTerms & Condition
logo

2026 News Arena India Pvt Ltd | All rights reserved | The Ideaz Factory